A truck committee to replace our 2001 E-One HP 100 Quint/Ladder (Ladder 54) was appointed by Fire Company President, Tom Walters at the October 2015 fire company meeting. Captain Mike Latshaw was appointed Chairman of this Truck Committee. Other members of this committee are: Deputy Chief, Glen Russell; Chief Engineer, Steve Waldman; Assistant Engineer, Ben Andes; Lieutenant, Bob Brock; and President Walters.
The committee surveyed the company for their thoughts on replacing the current Ladder 54. A decision was made to replace Ladder 54 with a Tower Ladder. The committee met with five (5) different manufacturers and demo’d each of their rear mount towers and their mid-mount towers. Two finalists were selected based upon our criteria.
The manufacturer chosen was E-One. The type of tower chosen was a Mid-Mount 95’ Tower. The contract was signed 10/18/2016. In early November 2016, the truck committee and our salesman, Ron Elmo of First Choice Fire apparatus traveled to the E-One plant in Ocala, FL for 2 day pre-build with our E-One engineering team involved in the design, build, and scheduling of Tower 54. This will be our 3rd E-One purchase and our 2nd E-One Aerial.
A delivery date in mid-January 2018 is expected. The basic details of the new Tower 54 are:
• 95’ E-One Mid-Mount Tower with 1,250 GPM Pre-Piped Waterway with a 2.5:1 Safety Rating;
• E-One Extruded Aluminum construction;
• E-One Cyclone II X Long 4 Door Cab with Barrier doors and with 12” Raised Roof;
• Six (6) Person Cab;
• Medical Compartments;
• Cummins ISX 12 500HP Engine;
• Jacobs Engine Brake;
• 430 Amp Niehoff Alternator;
• Allison EVS-4500P Automatic 5 Speed Transmission;
• Maximum Speed governed to 60 MPH;
• Front Axle – 24,000 lb;
• Rayco Granning Independent Front Suspension (IFS);
• Rear Axle – 52,000 lb;
• Hendrickson FIREMAAX EX air ride suspension for tandem drive axles;
• No Pump or No Tank;
• 10 kw Harrison Hydraulic Generator;
• 221’ for Ground Ladders;
• Ramco Mirrors;
• Three (3) Receivers mounted on each side and rear of body;
• On-Spot Chains;
• Turning Cameras for Rear and both sides;
• Two (2) E-One Criss Cross Underslung Jacks with a 15’6” Outrigger Spread;
• Four (4) Drop Down Jacks;
• 1,305 lb; Tower Bucket Capacity Dry and 805 lbs flowing water;
• Two (2) 4” Water Intakes with one (1) on each side of the body;
• Breathing Air to the Tower Bucket;
• Various Cord Reels, Rollout trays, and Tool Board Mounting;
The truck committee will perform a final inspection in early to late-December 2017 of the new Tower 54 at the E-One factory. Lettering will be completed by Danz Lettering shortly after delivery.
Our 2001 Ladder 54 was sold for $250,000 to the Nocona VFD in Nacona, TX. The truck left for Nocona in October 2017.